Para leer esta página en español
Principal: Alexander Hunt
Secretary: Lyzanna Chairez
Home Sch. Liaison: Lisa Cullen
Curriculum: Jai Waggoner
Records: Maru Hiratzka
Phone: (510) 644-6313
Fax: (510) 644-6297
The Berkeley PTA Council
For school tours, contact:
Lyzanna Chairez, MX Secretary,
or Jai Waggoner, Curriculum
at (510) 644-6313.
For enrollment info, go
to the Resources page.
by Kellie Whittaker
Donate to Malcolm X Arts & Academics Magnet's PTA!
Donations of all sizes are welcome. Your contribution is critical to help keep our school's focus on Arts and Academics and to provide many enrichment activities. We particularly need to raise money to keep our award-winning Gardening teacher and our wonderful Cooking programs. We are losing $130,000 in state funding for these two programs, beginning with the 2012-2013 school year.
- Contribute online to the PTA, specifically towards keeping the school's
Gardening and Cooking programs! Just click the "Donate" button immediately below. It's easy! You can use a credit card, checking account or debit card, via PayPal, even if you do not want a PayPal account.
- Contribute online to the PTA's general fund via PayPal.
Contribute by check: You can mail a check payable to "Malcolm X PTA" to the school's address, or drop it off at the school office. If you want it to go towards Gardening and Cooking, please indicate that.
Principal Alexander Hunt
Malcolm X Arts and Academics Magnet Elementary School
1731 Prince Street
Contribute free money! Buy paper scrip for Berkeley Bowl, sign up for e-Scrip, use your Target credit card, bring in printer cartridges and old cell phones to recycle, get a matching donation from your employer.
Find out more on our No-Cost Fundraising page!
The Malcolm X PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization and donations are tax-deductible. Our tax ID number is 943145183.
How do I get involved in the PTA?
become a member, just download the membership form, or get one from the school office, or from PTA President Jila Abdolhosseini (665-9955) and fill it out. Then turn the completed form in to your child's teacher along with the PTA dues of $5, or bring it to the next PTA meeting. You can also pay dues online via the button below.
The general membership consists of parents, guardians, and teachers.
Dues for the school year are $5, with no one turned away for
lack of funds. Please make a larger contribution for dues if you can--all funds are used to support our school. Also, there are many volunteer opportunities throughout the school year to lend a helping hand.
If you pay online, please consider paying an extra $1 (for a total of $6) to cover the online transaction fees. Please make a larger contribution for dues if you can--all funds are used to support our school.
How does the PTA raise money for our school?
In 2011-2012 the MX Community raised $108,000 through the PTA, from contributions both large and small, up from $90,000 in 2010-2011.
How are donations used?
Your donation goes towards Academics:
- Funding for our Science teacher
- Funding for our Garden teacher
- Funding directly to teachers for classroom supplies
- Project Connect (after-school tutoring by teachers for the students who most need it)
- Literature Night
- Writer's Contest
- Field trips to Chabot Space and Science Center
- After-School enrichment classes (generally parents pay for these but the PTA provides some scholarships to ensure all our children have a chance to participate)
- Teacher retreat, to strategize and build teamwork, just before the school year begins
Your donation goes towards Arts:
- Funding for our Drama teacher
- Funding for our Art teacher
- Funding for our Music teachers
- The All-School Chorale
- Field trips to Cal Performances (on UC Berkeley's campus)
- Field trips to the UC Botanical Gardens
- SF Opera in the Schools
- Berkeley Symphony (in-school classes and also symphony performances at MX)
Your donation goes towards building Community and Safety:
- Family Heritage Night
- Walk and Roll Traffic Safety
- School Directory
- Spring Fair
- Lunchroom Organizer
- Peer Conflict Manager Program
- Summer Readers Pizza Party
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon
- 5th Grade field trip (fifth graders also raise their own funds)
- Emergency supplies
Thank you for donating to the Malcolm X PTA and to our school!